What is Food ?
Foods are those items which give us reinforcement, growth and provide heat and energy for work.
What is Food Poisoning ?
Food poisoning is an illness caused from eating food contaminated with large amount of harmful bacteria or toxic substances. It produce stomach pain and occurs within 1-36 hours after eating the contaminated food.
Causes of Food Poisoning :
Food poisoning is caused by –
- Microorganism: Food may be affected by various types of microorganisms such as bacteria, virus etc. and become poisonous.
- Animals: Rats, cats, dogs, chicken etc. drooping hair, urine, stool on food and the food becomes dirty and contaminated.
- Chemicals: Certain chemicals such as arsenic, zinc, lead etc. may accidentally enter the food and cause food poisoning.
- Insects: Flies, cockroaches, ants etc. most often they carry germs and make food contaminated.
- Objects: Dirty towels, dish cloths, knives, chopping board, glasses, strainer etc. carry bacteria and cause food poisoning.
The ten main reasons for food poisoning or when food becomes contaminated?
- Food prepared too far in advance and stored at room temperature, not under refrigeration.
- Cooling food too slowly prior to refrigeration.
- Not reheating food to high enough temperature to destroy food poisoning bacteria.
- The use of cooked food contaminated with food poisoning bacteria
- Under cooking.
- Not thawing frozen poultry for sufficient time.
- Cross – Contaminated from raw to cooked food.
- Storing hot food at too low a temperature.
- Contamination from infected food handlers.
- Re – use and reheating of leftover food items.
Food poisoning can be prevented by :
- Maintaining high standards of personal hygiene.
- Attention of physical fitness.
- Maintaining good working conditions.
- Maintaining equipment in good repair and clean condition.
- Adequate provision of cleaning facilities and cleaning equipment.
- Correct reheating of food.
- Correct storage of food stuffs at the right temperature.
- Quick cooling of foods prior to storage.
- Protection of foods from vermin and insects.
- Hygiene washing up procedure.
- Food handlers knowing how food poisoning is caused and carrying out procedures to prevent it .